Tuesday, January 17, 2006


The Afghanistan Election Blindspot

Last Sunday, 3 soldiers were wounded and a Canadian diplomat was killed in a suicide attack in Kandahar. When I heard this news I was saddened to think that such a horrible fate had befallen our Canadian peacekeepers. What I did not realize at the time was that Canadian forces stationed in Kandahar are not performing peacekeeping operations; these 600 Canadian troops are engaged in heavy combat, and will be joined by another 1400 soldiers by next month.

Look- I'm not saying that we shouldn't be there- I'll save that discussion for another post. What I'm pissed about is that this is the last week of a very long election and the issue of Canada's involvement in Afghanistan has not registered even a blip on the radar. Canada's military is poised on the cusp of its most dangerous military operation since the Korean War, yet neither the party leaders nor the media responsible for assessing their performance have addressed this issue. How might those 600 troops in Kandahar- better yet, the 1400 troops awaiting deployment- feel knowing that their incredible sacrifice isn't important enough to factor as an issue in this election?

4 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Tee said...

Hi Emma Jo, I came across your postings this morning and I must say that they are very moving and powerful.Although I'm Muslim, I feel as though you are trying to get all people to exist peacefully,and I just wanted to say thank you for your wonderful work.
If you'd like please come visit me at www.diffrentstrokes.blogspot.com
Mine is about my journey into the music business.Essentially though, I'm trying to do the same as you, and evoke peace.Take care, and again thanks for your words and work.
lovingly,Charlie Tee :-)

17 January, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo - Emma Jo...I don't know if you've been listening to CBC in the last few days, but there actually has been quite a bit of rhetoric about this issue.

Just this morning, the CBC was interviewing members from all parties and asking them what their perspective was on the Afganistan situation.

Regretfully yours,

El

17 January, 2006  
Blogger Emma Jo Aiken-Klar, PhD said...

Yo Habibi-
You are correct- this issue has been getting attention the past few days, but only after a total disaster in Kandahar. What about the last 5 weeks of the election?

17 January, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touche, my tooshy.

18 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home