Thursday, January 12, 2006

Harper's Evolution

My father-in-law is Albertan. Being an Ontarian myself, these geographic characteristics often provide the fuel for fantastic debates, usually about politics. When it comes to Canadian politics, the debate can be summed-up as follows: He expresses his disgust at Liberal corruption and cronyism, I say that all governments are corrupt and that if the Conservatives were in power the scandals would be theirs, he says he's not surprised by my argument, after all, I'm from Ontario, I say I don't know why I'm defending the Liberals- I vote NDP.

Well, they're not in power yet, but as the overdog in the election the Conservatives are already displaying some very Liberalesque behavior. (And by Liberalesque I mean scandalous.) Tory candidate Derek Zeisman is facing charges for attempting to smuggle 112 containers of alcohol and a Mercedes Benz across the U.S.-Canada border. Apparently, no one in the Conservative party (including the staff running his campaign) had any idea. In a move stunningly similar to McGuinty's recent Takhar decision (see posting for Jan. 6), despite the fact that Zeisman lied about the charges to secure his nomination, Harper has decided to stand by his man instead of the electorate. Notwithstanding the Conservative campaign focus on the horrors of Liberal scandal, Harper has decided NOT to ask Zeisman to resign.

The headline of The Globe today reads, "Harper says he's 'evolved'." He's evolved alright- into the kind of leader that chooses loyalty to the party over responsibility to the public. I can't wait to discuss Harper's "evolution" with my father-in-law. The debate will take the usual twists and turns, but this time I get to say "I told you so!!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home