Tuesday, January 24, 2006


Now that the election dust has settled...

Those of you who follow my blog will remember my father-in-law the Albertan. Defined by the politics of geography (I'm from Ontario), our relationship is often marked by dramatic debates about the way this country is run. I'm sure he's tickled pink with last night's outcome.

That being said, now that it's all over, I don't think the Canadian electoral map is all that bad. Like naughty little children, the Liberals are getting their well-deserved time out; the NDP has a stronger voice, the Conservatives are ruling with a much smaller margin than anticipated, and the Greens now have $1,093,750 to play with for next time (better make it count, Jimbo- $1.75 of that came from me). I think it will be a very exciting few years watching the Liberals fight from the other side of the House of Commons. They might actually grow some teeth.

And don't get me wrong- the country's shift to the right certainly signals no such shift in my relationship with my father-in-law. Now I'll get to complain to him about what shitty leaders the Conservatives are. And being from "the city" (his cheeky term for my Torontonian roots), I will take great pleasure in reminding him that not only did the Conservatives get shut out of my hometown, but Vancouver and Montreal as well. I will explain to him that I'm ok with the Harper government- it's time the small-town folks get some representation. We urbane sophisticates know how to handle defeat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Tee said...

Emma Jo, when you have the time,please send me info on Canadian politics.I'm sorry to say that I know nothing about your gov't.A bad habit of living in the U.S.
How are is the government set up, is it similar to this country, or more in line with the countries that Canada derived from?
You've piqued my interest, and I'd like to be more informed.
Other than that I hope that you are doing well.
lovingly,Charlie Tee

24 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home